"I hear and I forget; I see and I remember; I write and I understand." - Chinese proverb

Friday, October 8, 2010

NEPHEW SEASON

A blogger I follow posted a "Poetry Challenge" on her blog the other day, asking for poems that have a harvest theme and include at least one vegetable that isn't an apple or pumpkin.  I am no poet by any means, though I love reading poetry; nevertheless, images kept going through my head and I came up with this for fun.  (The song "Games Without Frontiers" by Peter Gabriel was going through my head at the time.  You could almost sing these words to that tune.)  Anyway, this is my little poem -- this is my harvest!



NEPHEW SEASON


Robert calls me in February:
“Guess what?  Surprise!  I’m married!”
Russell walks a snowy campus
With the same load his brother carried.

Russell runs up the steps to see me
Home from college in spring;
Robert tills a muddy field,
Dreaming of growing things.

Russell writes his stories
Out of the summer sun,
Robert drives an old John Deere,
And leaves when his shift is done.

Robert gifts me with acorn squash
He planted at summer’s start;
Russell gifts me with language,
A bounty for my heart.





No comments:

Post a Comment